<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 11, 2003

Comics that look interesting... 

First up is Ellium. The author posted about it on SPA's forum, and that got me intereted. It involves a powerful secret organization present in the world which while not evil (and having good intentions) may not be entirely good either. It looks to be an interesting combination of horror, sci-fi, and other genres.

First off, those covers are gorgeous! The insides are pretty interesting as well. Seems a little stiff at first glace, but seems like it could work well for the story, and seems to be taking advange of being printed in black and white. As far as format goes, a $10 GN ($8 on the site) and a floppy one-shot. It sounds like there are two more GNs on the way which will finish off the story.

I have to say that this seems pretty appealing to me. As a manga / oni press / GN kind of person, I find this really appealing. I'm not going to try to special-order this at a comic shop, but ordering a full GN direct from the creator is very cool. The addition of the one-shot means that people shy of spending a lot at once can try it out. But even if that didn't exist, I'd probably still considering giving it a shot. If I didn't like it, I could always sell it on ebay and probably get a couple of bucks back or donate it to a library or something. He said he's working on B&N and Diamond, so perhaps it'll get some wider distribution in the future as well... Personally, I think they have the right idea and I hope more self-publishers follow suit with this format.

Next up is Lost at Sea, reviewed today by iComics. This is another b&w GN, this time by Oni Press. A tale about the isolation of a young girl, this seems to be good timing with Ron's and my sentiments of foul mood earlier today. Anyway, the artwork looks nice and story sounds appealing. Seems to capture some of the same aspects I like about the more down to earth manga, while being distinctly western in style..

Lastly, I'm sure everyone already knows about this, but I have to mention Kindergoth. I may wait on it for now, but it seems like I need to pick it up one of these days... Little goth kids? What's not to like?

Well, to throw one other one in there, I may have to pick up something from Artesia at some point. I first saw a review for Artesia Afire at iComics, and it sounds like something I might enjoy. I've always been a big fantasy novel reader, and this sounds more like a traditional serious fantasy plot than most of the fantasy comics I've seen. The artwork also looks to be fairly unique, using a somewhat realistic painted look. It sounds like two TPBs are already out, so I'll have to see if I can track down a copy...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com