<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 21, 2003

Pick a card.. any card... 

While we're at it, another hobby in the collecting sense has been playing cards. I'm not very serious about it, but I've been steadily picking up various decks over the years. When I was at Target the other day, I saw two Transformers decks and had to have them! They even have these cheezy lenticular things on the front (where the picture changes depending on the angle), one with Optimus Prime and the other with Megatron. The images on the deck itself are pretty cool, with a couple of transformers that I still have on there.

To continue the trend of nostalgia, I also picked up a War deck with G.I. Joe. I was tempted by several Winnie the Pooh decks (they even had an oversized one!) and a Candyland Old May set, but that's for another day.

I'll have to go back and look at what decks I actually have at this point. I probably have around 40 or 50 or something. X-Men and Sailor Moon come to mind as semi-recent stuff that I had bought. I just like playing cards as a nice solid form of artwork with a functional fun use.

Mom picked up two packs of Return of the King movie cards but at $2 for 7 cards, it is expensive stuff. I used to collect fantasy art cards and some comic art cards in the 90s, but usually I'd buy a whole box at a time. I'm still happy that I have stuff like early Boris Vallejo sets, Michael Whelan, WildC.A.T.S., ST:TNG, first Marvel Masterworks, etc. but I think at this point I'd rather spend on a bunch of GNs than $60 or whatever it costs for a box of cards. I should probably sell off some of my duplicate card sets on ebay one of these days, though...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com