<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Dorian reviews manga... 

Dorian has some good reviews up: Angel Sanctuary, Tuxedo Gin, Tokyo Babylon, Fruits Basket, and Ranma 1/2.

He seems to love Tuxedo Gin as much as I do, which is nice to see. Unfortunately, it just didn't do it for John and James. I always hate it when I recommend something and people just don't feel the same way, but I guess there's nothing that can be done for it. I think comedy (along with horror) especially is one of those things that ends up being very personal. I always find it amazing how something one person finds hilarious another just doesn't find funny and something that scares the bejeesus out of one person is laughable to someone else. Perhaps I am just pre-disposed to penguins like Dorian. :)

As an aside, speaking of personal differences of likes and dislikes, I've noticed splintering starting to happen in manga and anime fandom in general. When things were starting out, you had a lot of fans of the medium who would take what they could get, snatching up most of the trickle of titles coming out. But with the influx of titles and numbers of fans, you see a lot more lately of people who love just mecha (or hate mecha) are mainly into romance, mainly into fighting, people almost exclusively into CLAMP, etc. Personally, I think it is a positive thing. I'm one of those people that likes tons of different stuff, but this broadening and specializing of fans and tastes I think shows the growth of the industry in general, becoming less of a niche hobby...

Anyway, back to the entry. I really need to give Fruits Basket another shot, I think. I saw some of the anime and wasn't sold on it. Seemed kind of generic and the humor wasn't totally hitting it for me, but it sounds like it get more in depth as it goes on..

I have the first volume of Ranma 1/2 and loved it, but everything I've heard confirms Johanna's thought that it goes on way too long. Still, now that it is re-released in a cheaper price, I'll have to pick up at least a couple more volumes of it.

Lastly, Dorian's description of Angel Sanctuary is classic: "What if V.C. Andrews and Garth Ennis co-wrote the Book of Revelation?". If that doesn't get you to read it, what will? I tend to like crazy over-the-top stuff like this, so I really must start reading it. If only I had more $$$...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com