<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 22, 2004

A very fun movie party... 

I just had a whole lot of fun at a movie party. Now, this isn't a party where a movie was shown or movie finished production. This one is just beginning. As I mentioned a while back, Marty and Warren are making a movie called Magdalena's Brain with their company Glowing Screen, Inc (of which I am the webmaster). Check out the press release for more info. on the movie itself.

The meeting was a cool gallery type area that reminded me of some of the older buildings in STCC. We had live jazz music from the band that will be doing the score. The band was really good and is called Kakalla with two CDs at Warren's Rotary Records. I think it'll help the movie a lot to have a band like this instead of what you might expect. Also, aparantly few movies actually have jazz soundtracks, which make get some jazz fans in to see it.

There was also a ton of good appetizers and a little cafe area with a variety of drinks. I don't drink alchohol, but I didn't end up drinking anything at all, though prices seemed decent for stuff like juice. Eating a couple of strawberries seems to eliminate thirst. And Jake can attest to the fact that the strawberries were very good. :)

Lots of people from Veritech of course, some of which have since moved on to other places. Was great seeing EJ and Daryl again, as well as Jen and Jake. Also a lot of relatives of people that I know, who you don't get to see so often. Also got to meet some of the actors and others involved. A shame that Deb didn't make it, though...

The person who was probably the most interesting to see was Mark Vadnais again. I'd talked to him on the BBS ages ago and we even met a couple of times, but then lost touch. It turns out he is friends with Marty from the days when Marty worked at a comic shop and ran a video store. A very cool guy who is very much into movies and a bit of comics as well. Be sure to check out his blog. After talking with him, I think I really do need to get an RSS reader to help with keeping track of everything...

After a time, everyone went across to the building where the movie will mostly be shot, an old abandoned mill now called Open Square. They have full use of the five floors of the building, though I believe it'll mostly be shot in just one one section. Old crumbling wood floors and high ceilings. The hum of the water wheel which still runs and provides power to the building. I think it'll add a very cool vibe to the movie... I'm going to petition that they somehow get a scene with the scary machinery in the cellar into the movie. ;)

I have to say that I'm really glad I went to this. I have a tendancy to shun big gatherings like this, and sometimes I feel out of place even among friends, but this worked out well. Lots of good people and conversations. I think I really need to put some effort into the website to make it more than it is now. If we can have stuff like forums and a blog-like diary and photos of the actors, I think that'll help a lot for the publicity of the movie.. I'll have to get everyone's opinions on what we should have going...

I probably should have went to the "Art Party" that was held a week ago (in the same place), which was a gathering of local artistic types. I think I'll have to be adventuresome and go to the next one..

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com