<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

On CLAMP and Marvel... 

Well, aparantly I missed big news during my productive weekend! None of people talking about this yet are really sure what it'll be. This could be anything from a limited series to cover artwork. Also, who knows if CLAMP will be writing or just drawing? Basically the clues are that it is a Marvel character, that it is "not someonely CLAMPy" and "It was said it was not SpiderMan. When people brought up Wolverine the topic was quickly changed". So, who knows at this point... the important thing is the fun quotes in the topic! :)

Maybe the end of the world will be saved by the X/1999-Men

...

Haha! You're all wrong! It's gotta be the Punisher :) And his Uzi will shoot cherry blossoms :)

...

Hmm... when you said 'obscure' just then, I suddenly thought of Captain Britain, a character who has a lot of magical type stories done about him, that would be messed up if it was him... but it won't be, considering what they've done to that character recently (Chuck Austen...WHY does Marvel employ this worthless hack?).

...

But can you imagine how cute a smelly, little, chibi-Wolverine would look? Maybe they will make a chibi-Hulk and a chibi-Beast and make collector sets. *_*

...

Maybe it'll be a return of the X-Babies! I loved those guys
(I've been out of the X-men loop for about 10 years now, so maybe they have reappeared in that time.)


As far as superhero companies go:
I neither like nor dislike Marvel or DC. I feel about them about the same way I feel about the publishers of fishing magazines. They don't really affect my life enough to register on the Harafan emotional meter.

...

I couldn't agree more. Indifference is all I feel until they do something worth noting for me.

...

I for one have more confidence in the black and white indie publishers. They are, creatively, the Western equivalent of the Japanese manga industry, IMO.

...

I agree with your assessment of both Marvel & DC and the Indie scene. I'm tired of the perpetual nature of most of the "Big Two's" superhero books, where everything just runs in a circular fashion with little development and no end in sight. The indie books have a much more personal nature to their storytelling and tell much more well-crafted stories. Poison Elves, Strangers In Paradise, Queen And Country, and/or Blue Monday offer me more in one issue than about 98% of everything Marvel & DC have put out in the last 5 years...

As for me, I don't know what to think as of yet. The announcement is just way too vague. While I'd hope that they'd do something totally original, sounds like it'll be an existing character. Not all that surprising, but still disappointing. I do hope that they'll have a measure of control in the project and that it is something like a mini-series that can go to GN form quickly. Otherwise, how big will the market be for it? CLAMP is a huuuge name in the manga world, but I think many manga buyers will be hesitant of monthlies. Hardcore fans will go out of their way to buy it, but more casual fans won't even know about the title unless it is visible to them.

I guess we can hope that they make a big deal out of this and promote it out the wazoo and that it actually ends up being good!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com