<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Netscape's Anniversary... 

Well, it looks like it has been 10 years since the first public beta of Netscape Navigator. My web browsing started with an early version Netscape, though I'm not sure quite which one. I had done internet stuff before that on the BBS I went to (e-mail, ftp by e-mail, then ftp and a bit of lynx), but by the time I got general net access, Mosiac was already on its way out. I remember upgrading to a newer version to get stuff like background images and a save dialog box.

Courtesy of that thread, here is the original press release (check out the feature list!), screenshots of an early beta (0.93), a copy of the original website (but set your default background to gray for full effect), downloads from 0.4 to 4.07.

It seems appropriate, since Firefox is nearly at 1.0 now. When one of my bosses at work installs Firefox and says it is "faster than IE" boy does that seem a long ways away from the old Mozilla builds I used just for the sake of being part of something exciting, but were barely usable!

Happy anniversary to the dinosaur that helped out the web. :)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com